Friday, March 23, 2007

One for Algeria

I compose one for my home land
Algeria, the North African Queen
With its massive desert and coastal band
I lived there till I turned seventeen

It is a Third World country, so what
Despite its abundant resources, so what
Despite its friendly climate, so what
Despite being young and vigorous, so what
It still has bags of charm, incredible or what

They all tell me am mad to love it so
With all its chaos, anarchy, a desolate show
But I cannot help falling for it and go
Weak at the knees when fond memories flow
In my nostalgic brain like a vibrant Tango

And so everything fades but the vivid scent
Of jasmine blooms in summer nights, dark as ink
Constellations of stars scattered above, a silvery lint
Fragrant aromas of coffee, dinner and tea with mint
Family and friends gathered, their smiling eyes glint
In the shadows of their smoke, the salty breeze's a hint
That the sea is not far away, could get there in a blink
Beware of mosquitos, Algerian blood is sweet they think
But Gran's stories distract; some about Djins as big as Hulk

One day I hope, I know Algeria will overcome its woes
Even if not in my lifetime, I dare hope it'll conquer its foes
From within or out, main thing's to keep all its toes
To be able to advance, develop and banish all lows
It deserves the best, so does, it's been through loads
One day, no Algerian will need to lower their nose
With shame, anger, humiliation. Instead, they'll offer a rose
Their passport they'll brandish, with pride, God knows
In more difficult times, any other passport goes
But in better times to come, Algerians will become heroes
Till that day comes, they'll be resilient with all the zeroes
They keep getting from the UN, resulting in a few rows

Last but not least I finish with a word
For Constantine my birth city, a lovely town
With its ancient bridges hanging from a cord
Narrow winding roads, crowded, bit run down
And Mama, Papa, my family so much adored
No matter what, I'll never break away, don't yawn
It's in my blood, under my skin, it's where I've grown

3 comments:

sara said...

i loved it i'm from relizane algeria and i love poetry
i'm gonna write about algeria and relizane now XD

Anonymous said...

amazing ,you're really talented ,great poem .I'm proud that I'm Algerian and I'm proud that Algerians are so talented .

lakki zizou said...

wow ...amazing im from constantine and i really have nothing to say you got talent ..