Monday, February 13, 2006

Berni goes to the US

*This poem was inspired by my lovely friend Berni. After finishing his PhD, I learnt that he was heading for the US for a post-doctoral placement - Harvard, no less.*

I learnt that Berni is leaving
For the US he is heading
In his research field, he’ll be leading
But am not sure how he’ll be feeling
Away from the mates and Salome’s feeding

I know I will never go there
Because it fills me with dread and scare
That country is too far and gossip is rare
Besides I’m not sure I can afford the fare
And to be honest, am not in total despair

I will miss Berni though, sure I will
For memories of photo sessions haunt me still
And times of laughter and cycling uphill
Even though his ego sometimes went downhill
I’ll always prescribe my praise as a pill

No comments: